The topic is going through a dry spell. I do not care who you are, or how “religious” you are…eventually you will encounter times whenever you are physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted. When life fails to have significance and although you love Jesus, you are losing that drive that you once had. The commitment to him and his word has become a chore rather than a pleasure. This dryness makes you feel far away from the warm presence of God. Often when you are dry and empty, you will have no great yearning to read the Word and little desire to pray. There are times whenever you feel this way……"I know my faith is intact and my love for Jesus is strong, and I have no desire to taste the things of this world. Still, I cannot seem to touch God”
There are many reasons to why we get in this position. I know whenever I find myself in a dry wilderness…if I look hard enough I will find the reason. Sincerely ask the Holy Spirit to reveal it to you and I assure you he will, but it is up to you to take action on it. It is important to know how to you got there, but equally important to know how to get though it. These moments are never fun, but your greatest growth moments are whenever you come through a dry spell. Learn to press into God in these moments…this will take discipline and will-power!! It is so easy to just sit and relax in front of the TV or with social media in front of you. These become replacements for moments that God is desiring to have with you. So I want to give you 4 Keys to successfully to coming out of a dry season.
1. Restore Focus
· Often we tend to operate our lives according to what we are most focused on. Keeping the problem in the windshield will do nothing except keeping our problem in front of us. We need to learn to place our problems in the rearview mirror. Too many times we stay focused on where we are currently. We need to learn to look at how far we have come since we started our journey. Always focusing on the problems at hand only cause that problem to grow. Much like a plant, if you water it, it grows….if you don’t it will die. Stop watering the things in life that we do not want growing. Adjust your focus onto Kingdom things and this will realign God’s purpose in your heart. Instead of focusing on the problems, turn your attention to God!
· Look at Philippians 4:6-9 -6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
· As you think in your heart so you are. Paul knew you become your thoughts!! Your thoughts determine your outcome! What we put into our minds determines what comes out in our words and actions. Paul tells us to program our minds with thoughts that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, commendable, virtuous, and praiseworthy. Do you have problems with impure thoughts and daydreams? Examine what you are putting into your mind…what are you allowing to take up residence in your mind? Replace harmful input with wholesome material.
2. Discipline yourself in the Word
· The Word should be read daily. Because we live in such a busy culture, it often times gets pushed off and only given a few minutes each day. Some rarely give it a few minutes in a week. And there are some who only see scripture on Sundays….Restoring your focus is good, but will be ineffective unless you place your focus on the Word of God. This is a discipline! Meaning…you might have to force yourself to apply this key to your life. If you are struggling to read the bible daily, then adjust your approach. Change how you read, change a translation, change your posture or change the method. If your only used to reading large quantities of scripture then take a small portion of scripture and break it down to find the full meaning. If you have trouble focusing, change the translation to interpret in a different light, if you normally sit to read, try standing. Try playing soft worship music in the back ground. In your free time if your Tv remote, computer mouse, or cell phone is in your hand more than the Word…you are not where you need to be!
· It is vital that we make this a priority!! Proverbs 4:20-22 20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. 21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. 22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
· You cannot fail in anything you do if you keep the Word in your eyes and hide it in your heart!!
3. Lean on praise and worship
· Notice I said LEAN and not LEARN…everyone already knows how to worship…they just worship the wrong things. Worship is vital to the believer! Worship is best describe as WORTH-ship. This is an expression of our love and devotion to God. This is where we feel the heartbeat of God. This isn’t an act or a religious tradition, but a way of life. Worship has many settings, but in your personal life this is incredibly crucial to spiritual development, and if you are not worshipping God regularly in your personally life, this could be one of the reasons you are in a wilderness or a dry season. When in a wilderness, we need to lean on praise and worship as if it is oxygen! Because it is for our spirit man. When you enter true worship, your spirit man is involved…not just your fleshly man…John 4:23-24 - But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
· If we are not worshiping “in spirit,” our worship will be dry and lifeless. If our focus isn’t on God we cannot worship in spirit. This is a crucial ingredient in a believers life. Worship is where we draw close to God, this expresses our adoration to God. Some may have trouble expressing adoration and love….If you say that is me, you have committed to God with your mind but not your spirit….you learned to love God through His Word….relating each passage of scripture to yourself….I like to read it as a letter written from God directly to me….God wrote me a letter, and by doing this I get a closeness to His heart. By leaning on praise in the dry season, it will lead you into His presence…The bible says in Psalms 22:3 That God is enthroned upon the praise of His children….he comes to where you are when you praise Him, he is an ever present help in a time of need Psalms 46:1…He supplies all of your needs Philippians 4:19….and when you praise Him, you are released into His presence!
4. Praying in the Spirit
· The last key I want to give you is praying in the spirit. It is very good practice to pray in you understanding. You should pray in your understanding until you no longer have words left to pray! This should be the practice of every believer. If we would actually commit ourselves to prayer, sit down and look for needs to intercede for…we could fill hours of our day in prayer. There are many needs that we and others have. WE SHOULD ADDRESS THEM! Pour out your heart to God, with every known English word, express your heart. Pray for yourself and others! SO when you are in a dry season, and feel disconnected…it could be from a disconnection in your prayer life. So we can come through this by praying in the spirit…praying in tongues…The bible says that when you pray in English your mind is edified…but when you pray in the spirit your spirit is edified. You are then and only then praying the perfect will of God!
· When you pray in tongues, the Holy Spirit within you is praying, it strengthens your spirit and keeps you in tune with God’s perfect will. This will effectively realign your focus onto God’s kingdom. “A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.” –1 Corinthians 14:4
· Here is one of the many things Kenneth Hagin said about praying in tongues….”Believers should speak with tongues is that it helps them learn to trust God more fully. It builds one’s faith to speak in tongues. The Bible says, “Building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost” (Jude 20). Speaking in tongues stimulates faith and helps us learn how to trust God more fully. For example, faith must be exercised to speak with tongues because the Holy Spirit supernaturally directs the words we speak. You see, we don’t know what the next word will be—we have to trust God for that. And trusting God in one area helps us learn to trust Him in another area.”
So understand we all go through dry seasons and wilderness experiences of our lives and once we are in the midst of them it sometimes can become hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Satan likes to control you minds and thoughts, because he understands that if you ever realize the power you have in Jesus…he is finished! He has no way to afflict you and he has absolutely no authority over you. So when you are in a dry season be encouraged!! God is always with you! Use these keys to successfully come out!!!
“Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth … I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. The beast of the field will honor Me … because I give waters in the wilderness and rivers in the desert, to give drink to My people, My chosen” (Isaiah 43:19–20).
I hope and pray this helps you today!! God Bless!!
Living Water Christian Outreach
7735 Meadow Gap Rd
Three Springs, PA 17264
Copyright © 2018 Living Water Christian Outreach - All Rights Reserved.